10.19.2015

Mark 10:35-45 (1)


ppt

What is like to follow Jesus
Reading: Mark 10:35-45
Blanks: know, baptized, belong, prepared, servant, slave

(3) Again at this time Jesus told his students about his going into Jerusalem to die and rise again.
Jesus was saying again and again about his humiliation and death in Jerusalem.

But you know some people hear only what they want to hear.
For example, James and John thought that Jesus was going to Jerusalem to become a King.
They misunderstood what Jesus was saying.
It was also because they knew the power of Jesus.
They knew that Jesus is the Son of God.
So, they thought when Jesus arrived at Jerusalem, Jesus would establish God's Kingdom on earth!
Thy imagined that Jesus would be the greatest king ever.

So as they were going to Jerusalem, they wanted to ask Jesus something.
They were biological brothers.
They have left everything to follow Jesus.
Now, they wanted to be the two most important ministers in Jesus' Kingdom.

You know, Jesus said:
“Ask and it will be given to you.
Seek and you will find.
Knock and the door will be opened to you.”

So they asked:
“Teacher, we want you to do something for us.”
Jesus asked:
“What do you want me to do for you?”
They were like:
“Let us sit at your right and left in your glory.”
Meaning, “when you become the king of universe at Jerusalem, and as you makes your nation powerful in Jerusalem, have us sit next to you.
Have us rule over others with you.”

(3) Then, Jesus asked:
“Can you drink the cup that I drink?
Can you be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?”

They didn’t understand what Jesus were saying.
It sounded like Jesus was about to give what they were asking.
So they were like:
“Yes, yes, yes!
We can do that!
No problem!"

But what was Jesus really saying?
In answer, the cup means crucifixion.
After his death, Jesus would provide his blood of salvation.
That is what we celebrate during communion.
So the cup means his death.

And his baptism also means his death on the cross.
That is what our baptism means.
The baptism means that that we die with Jesus and rise up again with Jesus.

(2) So in other words, Jesus was saying:
"I am about to be crucified.
Do you want to be crucified, too?
I am about to suffer and be rejected.
Do want to suffer and be rejected, too?
I am about to be betrayed by my closest friend.
Can you handle this kind of disappointment?”

Jesus was explaining about his life.
And Jesus was asking whether they wanted to follow this kind of life.
Jesus wanted to know whether they wanted to face these kind of difficulties in life.
If they say yes to these questions, their life is over.
They would live the life of Jesus.
And Jesus was asking:
“Are you ok with that?"

Then without knowing, they said yes.
Then Jesus said:
"Yes.
You will drink the cup that I will drink.
You will be baptized in my baptism.
But I cannot give you what you are asking.
That is God’s business."

When other disciples heard this, they were like:
“So, they want to rule over us, huh!
How selfish they are.
Watch out, because we should rule over them!"

(2) Then, Jesus called all of them over and said something like this:
“If you want to have power and authority to rule over other people and if you want to be like high officials in this world who use their power to make people serve them and listen to them, then you are following a wrong person.
Because I am not like that.
I come to give my life as a payment for saving all other people’s lives.
I came to serve.
I want to give.
That is my life on earth.
If you want to follow me, you need to serve like me.
If you want to follow me, you live like a servant of God and serve others.
(3) So try to serve other people.
Try to meet their needs.
That is what is like to follow me.
That is what is like to live my life.”

(2) Then Jesus continued his journey to Jerusalem.
He was humiliated there and died there.
Then one the third day, he rose again.

And after his resurrection, Jesus might have said the same thing to his people:
"I am the Messiah, the Son of God, Savior of the world.
I was nailed to a cross.
Here is my humble cross.
I need someone to follow me taking up their humble cross.
Try to live my way.
Try to copy what I do.
Be ready to die for the truth.
Live my life of service.
Then I will take care of the rest.
Then you will be with me forever in my kingdom.”

So following this Jesus, many Christians died like Jesus.
In the early church, many Christians died for Jesus.
And they wanted to die for Jesus.
In fact, they even made up this kind of song and sung together: 2 Timothy 2: 11-13:
“If we died with him, we will also live with him.
If we endure, we will also reign with him.
If we disown him, he will also disown us.
If we are faithless, he remains faithful, for he cannot disown himself.”

This is Christianity.
This kind of life is impossible with our own power.
So Jesus gives us the Holy Spirit.
The Holy Spirit empowers us to serve others and follow Jesus.
The Holy Spirit is providing us God’s power to live like that.

Today Jesus is asking us to serve and live for God and die for God.
Jesus is asking us to follow him.
May we be able to follow him all the way.

Let’s pray:
Jesus, the servant of all.
Thank you for giving your life for us.
Help us to follow you.
In Jesus name, we pray.
Amen.