12.27.2015

The faith of Jesus

ppt

The faith of Jesus
Reading: John 14:15-21
Blanks: truth, live

Today we are going to study a Greek word, σώζω.
It means “save” in English.
In the Gospels we see this word σώζω a lot.
So let’s study about it.

(3) In Mark 5:21-34, (Luke 8:40-48, Matthew 9:22) we see a lady touched the garment of Jesus, thinking:
“If I just touch his clothes, I will be healed (σώζω).” (verse 28)
In Greek, she was saying:
“If I just touch his clothes, I will be saved.”
She was right.
Jesus said to her:
“Your faith has saved (σώζω) you.” (34)

What does it mean that she was saved?
She was healed completely.
She experienced who Jesus is.
She was restored physically, spiritually, religiously and socially.
And now she could go back to her family and lived a different life.

(3) In Mark 10: 46-52, we meet Bartimaeus:
When Jesus was passing him by, he shouted:
“Son of David, have mercy on me.”

Jesus asked him:
“What do you want me to do for you?”
Bartimaeus said:
“I want to see.”

Jesus said to him:
“Your faith has saved (σώζω) you.” (52)

How was Bartimaeus saved?
He realized who Jesus really is.
He experienced the power of Jesus.
And now he could follow Jesus and lived a different life.

(3) In Luke 19:1-10 we meet Zacchaeus who was a tax collector:
In those days, religious people didn’t go to a house of tax collector.
Because they said that tax collectors were a sinner.
So they didn’t eat with them.

But Jesus came to his house, and ate with him.
Jesus treated as if he was someone whom God so loves.

Then, Zacchaeus decided to live as a God’s child.
He also decided to give his wealth to the poor.
(2) Zacchaeus was like:
“Look, Lord Jesus!
Now I gonna give half of my possessions to the poor.
And if I have cheated anyone, I will pay back four times the amount.”

Jesus said: (9-10)
(2) “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man is also a son of Abraham.
For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”

Again here, Jesus said:
“Salvation (σώζω) has come to this house.”
“σωτηρία τῷ οἴκῳ τούτῳ ἐγένετο”

Jesus is saying:
‘He is saved.”

How was Zacchaeus saved?
Zacchaeus experienced God who loved him.
Zacchaeus realized that he was loved by God.
So Zacchaeus decided to live for God who blesses those who bless others.

This is how the Gospels used this word “save.” (σώζω)
All these people were saved because they have the faith of Jesus Christ.
As they hear about the miracle stories of Jesus, they experience the faith of Jesus.
The faith of Jesus opens their eyes to see a new possibility for their lives.
Then they acted accordingly.
They reached out to Jesus who has faith.
And they was healed.
They were saved.
When they believe what Jesus believes, they are saved.
They were saved through the faith of Jesus the Christ.

Jesus still saves people through his faith.
So today many people have been saved by saying a sinner’s prayer like this:
It goes like this:
(3) “Lord Jesus, I need You.
Thank You for dying on the cross for my sins.
I open the door of my life and receive You as my Savior and Lord.
Thank You for forgiving my sins and giving me eternal life.
Take control of my life.
Make me the kind of person You want me to be.
In Jesus name, we pray.
Amen.”

Some people may wonder through this one prayer, can we be saved?
Well, there is an example in the Gospels.
There was one person who was saved with one prayer.
(2) It is written in Luke 23:32-43.
You know, two criminals were crucified with Jesus.
Then one of them said: (42-43)
“Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”
Jesus answered:
“Yes, today you will be with me in paradise.”
That is it.
Just like that, this person was saved.
As he was with Jesus, somehow he experienced the faith of Jesus.
Then somehow the faith of Jesus helps him to believe in Jesus.
Then Jesus saved him because he asked him responding to the faith of Jesus.
And so he was saved.

Even today Jesus saves us through the faith of Jesus.
(3) Jesus may say: (John 14:19)
“Because I live, you shall live also.
Because I have eternal life, you will have also.
Because I have the Holy Spirit, you will have also.”

When we believe what Jesus believes, we become one with Jesus.
Then, we are saved.
Then we live like Jesus and talk like Jesus.

So I hope that you learn about the faith of Jesus.
I hope that you have the faith of Jesus.
I hope that the Holy Spirit continually help you to have the faith of Jesus.
Then you live as Jesus lives.

Where can you find this faith of Jesus?
I usually find reading the Bible and praying believing that Jesus can do everything.
What about you?

Some of you have this faith of Jesus already.
I hope that you use the faith of Jesus for your family and for your world.
Then they may also be saved.
Then they may also live in the faith of Jesus.
They may also believe what Jesus believes for them.

So before we end, I would like to ask:
What does Jesus encourage you to do today according to his faith?
What is Jesus saying to your life according to his faith?
What is Jesus saying to your family according to his faith?
What is Jesus saying to this world according to his faith?

I hope that we hear it and live accordingly.
Then our family and our world and we will be saved.
Amen.

Let’s pray:
Jesus, help us to understand you.
Help us to have the faith that you have.
May your faith nourish our souls so that we may live as you live.
Help us to discern well so that we may live your life on earth.
In Jesus name, we pray.
Amen.